by Black Rose Books / Press Release
Black Rose Books, in global collaboration with other organisations, scholars, activists and university departments, is hosting a conference from February 5-8, 2021 to celebrate Peter Kropotkin’s life and work. This conference would commemorate 100 years since his death on February 8th, 1921. Peter Kropotkin was a revolutionary anarchist from Russia who wrote The Conquest of Bread, Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution and many other books and essays.
Kropotkin is undoubtedly one of the most important anarchist thinkers to understand the vision, and action, needed for positive transformative change. His legacy is critically important and needs to be shared so that others can know about his values and what he dedicated his life towards.
As a multi-disciplinary scholar, he argued that the centralized bureaucratic state and capitalism are antithetical to a sustainable and just society.
- The conference will take place from Friday February 5 to Sunday February 7.
- On February 8th, the anniversary of Kropotkin’s death, we will be holding a commemorative event, which will ideally be connected with such events elsewhere in other cities.
- Anyone interested in attending should register here in order to receive the conference link.
- You can find the conference schedule here.
The format will be held both in person and virtually. These details will be forthcoming.
Kropotkin studied a wide range of subjects, which include, but is not limited to, geography, biology, economy, anthropology, and philosophy.
Given the broad range of Kropotkin’s works, the conference will be sectioned off into key topics that surround Kropotkin’s life and works.
Our goal is that people come out of the participatory sessions not only with a more developed understanding of Kropotkin, but also with knowledge that can be used on the ground in our contemporary settings. We want to encourage in particular a link between Kropotkin’s ethics and politics today.
- Centro Studi Libertari, Milano
- Geography Department of Concordia University
- Planners Network.
BLACK ROSE BOOKS has published the collected works of Peter Kropotkin, including the only English-language edition of “Words of a Rebel”.
Two new works are in progress; these are:
- Kropotkin’s Siberian Diaries (1862-1867)
- Ethics Volume 2
Please visit www.blackrosebooks.com for more details.